Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Rebuilt Rocking Chair

One summer day last month, I happened upon an old rocking chair at a garage sale down the street from my house. I fell in love with it's character and found myself actually carrying it home! I couldn't help but imagine rocking my future grandson and maybe later find him cuddled up in it reading books. I bought it for $5.00! 

I was so pleased with my find...that was until I asked my dad during his stay last week (He's an awesome woodworker btw), if he would set me up to sand the chair down. His look was one I saw many times during my childhood when I'd stump him with, what he calls my "crazy ideas". It's a look that said:  Valerie are you kiddding me....this thing needs to go in the dumpster!  (ha!ha!) After probably ten minutes of serious contemplation the challenge was on! He set forth to rebuild the darn thing!!!
As he took pieces apart, I set forth sanding....and sanding....and sanding! I think he used an entire bottle of wood glue!
  
This is me getting OUT OF PRIMING the chair:  (HAHAHAH!!!)

Ta Da!

I love the colonial red color I found! My mom laughed, literally out loud, at the fact my new cushion cost more than the chair.(I did too!) But I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait for it to be moved into the house (Today I had a few paint touch-ups to complete after school) But can't ya see a quilt finding it's home draped on it's back and a toddler all cozy looking at picture books in it? And maybe even a quilted cushion cover in the future!?? Aughhh the creative thinking never ends does it.
It was a fun weekend! Thanks dad.
With smiles!
Val:)

12 comments:

  1. What a great find and it is now perfect. Your dad is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! Old furniture is so much nicer than new things.
    One of my first ebay purchases was an old rocking chair. I painted it in a light purple. And it was the same here: the cushion costed more than the chair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful! I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that the paint cost more than the chair. You got a great deal on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good rescue story, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a rocking chair when I was pregnant with my first child and I've hardly used it, but I plan to keep it until I am an old lady, so it should get plenty of use in the future. I can't remember whether it cost $200 or $400, needless to say, you got a bargain. And time spent working on a project with you family is time well spent. In the future, the rocking chair will bring back memories not just of your grandchildren, but of your father as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the chair....great find. Stopping by from Stitch by Stitch. Thanks for sharing Marie (mlismor@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The memories have already begun, for as I post, my college age daughter is rocking our dog in the chair teasing me that I bought a grandma rocker! Haaaahaaa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely chair! Hope you enjoy rocking many happy times.
    Love from Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dad did an awesome job!...and you too Val! nice looking chair! Thank for sharing this re do at Fluster Buster party! You guys have a great week and visit us again with more of your projects, Lizy party co host

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous val, I saw one in a thrift store recently and almost bought it but my apartment is almost bursting at the seams at present, so I had to leave it there, not sure I will have the same ability to resist next time though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your story and the rocking chair, awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...