Wednesday, April 26, 2017

This week: Fish Beanbags

This week our classroom stitching continues as we begin to create fish beanbags.
First they have to trace, then cut their patterns. One girl has set out to create a "zebra fish".

Their stitching was taking over my desk...so now that many of them have grasped a few basic stitches, we've designated a table that they can sit together and stitch at once their work is done.  

I'm most impressed with their individuality. I've relished in the fact that their creativity is untarnished and without boundaries of "right or wrong". They have each set out to create their very own little fish, like the little zebra fish above and I've noticed them to be terribly encouraging of one another.
 
You can see below, my little expert with the green fish, continues his love of stitching as he advances on to use the chain stitch to create flowers on his "Flower Fish". I chuckle as I hear him announce to the others: "Look at me! I'm such a professional." And of course, they all agree with him as they stop to inspect in awe his stitched flowers. ( I bought him his very own variegated thread and he is over the moon as he stitches and the thread changes colors.) 

Oh and that poor guy in the red shirt. He soooooo badly wants to learn how to sew...but for the life of him, can't thread a needle nor complete a basic running stitch. I finally packed him an"at home" kit in hopes someone at home can help get him started. 
I've seen no tongue in cheek concentration but they beg to stay in at recess to stitch and I've noticed their conversations are light and happy as they each focus intently on their own little project.
There's still many elephants in the works and I'll have to take a better "inventory" of everyone's progress tomorrow....as with thirty students, I'm sure I've missed someone or something. LOL!
Until then...happy stitching everyone! Thanks for stopping by and cheering us on.

Val's Quilting Studio

16 comments:

  1. Another wonderful project and they really do seem to be enjoying this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so good to see them enjoying their stitching fingers crossed the boy in red gets to learn how to stitch too, wonder what is next for them elephants, fish then ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic to see. How they concentrate and are really concentrating is so fulfilling. You are doing an amazing job. Keep up their interest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thirty students! And she still finds time to teach them how to sew.....amazing teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a joy to read about. We are sending lots of encouragement to the boy in red to grasp the process and get to make his own stitches. Great job, Val, you are an awesome teacher for these precious ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what fun! glad to see young people learning sewing craft!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just too cute, they all seem like budding designers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it so glad you are doing this for them

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading these stories from your classroom. They are going to remember this forever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fishes!! Oh, they are going to treasure their beanbags! I can't wait to see the whole school. And your expert sewing guy is in good company...who among us hasn't swooned over a good variegated thread? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val - this is so cool! I love stitching with kids. They have such an amazing vision that we lose as we get set in our ways. It is so great that you have found simple projects they can do independently (at least mostly :-) ) and they are fun to use too. Keep it up and keep showing us their progress. Makes my day- K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. A gold star to you for giving these kids the opportunity to be creative and the freedom to do their own thing. I'll keep rooting for the boy in red.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! Thirty students stitching and having the best time! I love each one's individuality. Each fish is so very cool. LOVE the zebra fish! How sweet is the boy in red. Let's hope that the light goes on very soon.=)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They do look like they are enjoying the stitching, but 30 students is A LOT of kids! Wow, bless you for your dedication.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...